How to Maintain A Building’s Exterior
Buildings are regularly subjected to all types of weather conditions and will accumulate wear and tear over a period of time. To prevent it from deteriorating, cracking, and becoming unseemly or even unsafe, it is necessary to maintain a building’s exterior or facade in Singapore consistently in order to prevent expensive problems in the future.
Areas to Inspect Regularly
Conducting regular inspection and professional building maintenance will help to prolong the lifespan of a building’s exterior and its aesthetics.
Here are important things to look out for:
- Damaged windows/glass: It is important to look out for cracks in windows or glass that may widen and damage the exterior even further. Any cracked glass or window should be replaced within a short period of time to prevent any safety hazards.
- Cracks in concrete or masonry: These should be resolved within a reasonable amount of time to prevent extensive damage to the building.
- Building Structure: It is always essential to do frequent checks on your building structure, for example, the appearance of your building and other man-made features to ensure a safe workplace for all. With regular inspections, only then can you prevent larger problems from escalating through early detection.
- Rooftop: Prolonged exposure to heat and moisture will cause changes in the rooftop. You will require regular inspection in order to prevent any structural weaknesses that may occur.
- Sealants at expansion joints: Regular maintenance of sealants help to ensure that any contractions or expansions will not negatively affect the exterior’s structure. If found to be damaged, it is essential that there should be immediate sealing repair.
Contractors of newly constructed buildings should provide an aftercare plan that instructs the owner on how to inspect and maintain various aspects of the building. This should be in line with the building manufacturers’ guidelines and also detail the number of site surveys required annually.
Carrying out yearly site surveys help to detect early defects and alleviate the possibility of expensive repairs and replacements later on. The surveys should also provide information about on any faults in need of immediate rectification and their extent or severity.
Owners have a legal duty to ensure their building is safe and any injury or damage caused may incur liability if maintenance properly carried out. As site surveys are a specialist service, it is important that they are carried out by qualified, and experienced inspectors who are also adequately insured. A competent, reliable and affordable maintenance contractor should provide evidence and records of all inspections and repairs.
Another important aspect of maintaining a building’s exterior is the regular cleaning and removal of dirt, mould, and other contaminants. With building cleaning services, it helps to reduce the damage that they can cause and will prevent the need to spend more on replacing the building’s cladding in the future.
Specialist cleaners are required for particularly tall buildings and also buildings of special materials. It is important to ensure these cleaners are qualified in accessing difficult areas of the exterior and are experienced in using the right methods to remove unwanted dirt and substances.
Adopt Professionals for Risky Activities
With the various areas to look out for when it comes to building inspection and maintenance, it is rather difficult to engage the respective contractors to oversee each area individually. B2S Specialists is here to assist you professionally as we maintain and clean many buildings’ exterior for over 10 years in Singapore. If you require an overall specialist to provide Building Maintenance Services, contact us today!